Last night I was reading the blog for the James Beard Foundation — a New York-based national professional nonprofit that serves to promote the culinary arts — and read its predictions for 2012.
Here’s what it suspects will be trending next year:
• Locavorism, redefined: We’re talking recipe revival, with foragers and historians retrieving recipes from the past.
• Donuts, donuts, donuts: Apparently, donut-related content online is up, indicating our fascination with these sugary wonders. In fact, malasadas made its list.
• Thai revival: This cuisine — one of my favorites — is expected to make a big comeback.
• Nordic menus: I have no idea what Nordic cuisine is — ingredients include sea buckthorn, wood sorrel, bark flour — but restaurants may start featuring it.
• Caneles are the new cupcakes: Yes, cupcakes are on the way out, according to the blog. In fact, macaroons made a quick appearance and are now replaced by these treats from Bordeaux. Caneles are made from an egg-yolk-enriched crêpe-like batter that’s baked in copper molds lined with caramel and beeswax.
• Eat-in kitchen: You’ll be pulling up a chair next to the stove.
• Blood: Blame it on “Twilight.” The next step in the snout-to-tail movement might just be the blood. Blood pancakes, blood cups, sauces thickened with blood.
• Smaller portion sizes: Mega meals are so 2011. Fine-dining portions are continuing to get smaller and tapas might become the new entree.
Got any thoughts on this?
Dog Kimono from Inu Inu Hawaii
Days left: 3
Dog kimono or yukata from Inu Inu Hawaii (www.inuinuhawaii.com)
Price: $30 online or at pet boutiques such as Calvin & Susie in Kilohana Square
The gist: Bored of the usual dog outfits? Or your pooch is quite the fashion diva? Get a kimono (or yukata) from Honolulu-based Inu Inu Hawaii, which specializes in unique Asian-inspired apparel for dogs. They come in all sizes — in fact, you can custom order ones for larger breeds — and patterns. Imagine your Rottweiler in one of these!
Best for: Dog owners, of course!
NOT BUYING IT. CUPCAKES WILL NEVER BE EXTINCT. SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTAINTOP…..YOU’LL HAVE TO PRY THAT CUPCAKE FROM MY FROSTING COVERED HANDS…
All I want for Christmas is for Cat to see merit in continuing to do this blog, The Cat Dish. I can’t ask for a whole year at a time; that would be greedy of me. I’ll be happy with a rolling 90 days. Ah, Christmas!
Thanks for this post. I was on JB site last night too. I also will include liquors, popups and foraging.
What an interesting article about the food trends! I totally get the locavore thing. Recipe revival is good to hear about too; I get so worried about the state of old records and history as more and more bookstores & libraries close. VERY cool.
I also have no idea what Nordic food would be all about.