I hate dieting.
In fact, I’m a total failure at it.
I’ll wake up, go to the gym and tell myself, “Today I’m going to eat healthy. Salad for lunch!”
Then not even 20 minutes later, I’m scarfing down a cake donut and a 20-ounce bottle of Diet Coke.
It’s just too hard for me to not eat. See food, must inhale. That makes it incredibly difficult to exercise any self-restraint.
But on the days that I’m able to stick to a relatively low-calorie eating schedule, I find solace in watching others eat, namely in movies. (I can’t watch people eat in front of me, not when the food is right there and easily accessible.)
So here’s a list of my go-to movies when I’m suffering hunger pains:
• “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” (2011): This film centers around legendary sushi chef Jiro Ono and his obsession for the craft. It’s a fascinating look into the life of this master and how he has been able to maintain his high level of success for so long. I devoured every glossy, delicious moment of this movie — then went to eat sushi right after.
• “Julie & Julia” (2009): Blogger Julie Powell chronicled her attempt to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” The movie follows the lives of both women — and makes you want to cook bouillabaisse and cassoulet.
• “Eat Drink Man Woman” (1994): This Taiwanese classic tells the story of a semi-retired and widowed Chinese master chef who’s raising three daughters. It’s funny, it’s poignant, it makes me want to eat.
• “Chocolat” (2000): One of my favorite movies — food-related or not — starring three beloved actors (Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench and Johnny Depp) and one beloved ingredient (chocolate). The story of a single mom and her daughter moving to rural France and opening a chocolate shop is charming, but it’s the chocolate — and the many ways to prepare and eat it — that steals the show.
• “Waitress” (2007): Remember this gem from 2007? It’s stars Keri Russell as a waitress who makes kick-ass pies. Who cares about that she’s pregnant, stuck in a horrible marriage and hates her life. We just want her “I Don’t Want Earl’s Baby” pie.
Got any to add to this list?