I had been having a rough few weeks.
I had been working the equivalent of two full-time jobs, which entails everything from writing 2,000-word stories to grading papers. That, combined with everything else I do, had been taking a toll of me.
And when I’m busy, the one thing I don’t do is eat.
Despite what you may think about my eating habits, I tend to skip meals when I’m busy, often relying on fast-food fixes to get through my worst of days. Meaning, I’ve been a frequent patron of McDonald’s and Taco Bell lately.
So it was time.
I needed a real meal.
So I decided to dine at Hoku’s at the Kahala Hotel and Resort, an award-winning restaurant thankfully located out of town. Because the last thing I wanted to do was fight Friday night rush-hour traffic and pay $12 for parking.
So when I finally sat down to breathe — it had been a long week — here’s what I wound up putting in my mouth — happily:
no images were found
Hoku’s, Kahala Hotel, 5000 Kahala Ave. Phone: (808) 739-8888
Hoku’s is featuring a Valentine’s Day five-course menu from Feb. 11 to 18. The Lover’s Menu is designed to tease and satiate from the amuse bouche to dessert. Here’s the lineup:
• Course 1, Anticipation: Mini crab cakes drizzled in a chili aioli on a bed of crispy-fried straw potatoes
• Course 2, Flirtation: A fresh arugula frisee salad with a poached egg and dressed in a tangy bacon vinaigrette topped with crunchy foccacia croutons
• Course 3, Romance: Pan-roasted Hawaiian snapped drizzled with a lobster basil sauce with sauteed cippollini onions and yellow squash
• Course 4, Passion: A prime-grade filet mignon served with sauteed foie gras and garnished with steamed asparagus and a creamy potato gratin with a red wine truffle jus
• Course 5, Sweet Addiction: A white chocolate-lilikoi fondue with an assortment of dippers including banana fritters, caramelized macadamia nuts, strawberries and chocolate ganache cookies.
For reservations, e-mail [email protected] or call (808) 739-8760.
Subscribe to Nonstop Honolulu on YouTube »
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Need an adventure? Catch the bus
Cat Chat episode 13: Bubblies
Your dream destinations for 2011
Pets over partner?
FUUD: Zia’s Caffe in Kaneohe
ASK DR. DISH: Teen hates school
Cat Chat episode 12: Be my guest
Friends with benefits
Peacock death: cruel or justified?
‘Tiger Mom’ to kids: Hear me roar
Cat Chat episode 11: Wine-y gadgets
ASK DR. DISH: Choosing jobs
TOP BLOG POSTS