It’s the question that comes up often in small circles of die-hard TV junkies: which Hawaii-based detective show is better — CBS’ “Hawaii Five-0” or the classic “Magnum, P.I.”
Both are set in Hawaii. Both boast an ensemble cast. Both are CBS shows. Both have a generally accepted attractive single male lead who shows a lot of chest and solves crimes with a gun and a smirk.
But there are striking differences. “Hawaii Five-0” features an elite group of cops; “Magnum, P.I.” centers around a private investigator. Tom Selleck, who plays Thomas Magnum, leads a fairly luxurious lifestyle that includes Rolex watches the fictional Coops beer; Alex O’Loughlin, who plays Det. Steve McGarrett, seems a bit more, well, minimalistic. Magnum drove a Ferrari 308 GTS; McGarrett barrelled down Oahu roadways in a 1974 Mercury Marquis Brougham. And I don’t think there were any frozen corpses or dead cops in imus on “Magnum.”
So which is it: “Hawaii Five-0,” either starring O’Loughlin or Jack Lord? Or do you prefer Selleck’s “Magnum, P.I.”?
From tonight’s show:
• Scott Caan, a la Danny Danno Williams, sticking up for Jersey. Nothing wrong with the Shore!
• Death by trolley. That had to be the biggest surprise of the show.
• Kelly Hu. Always nice to see her. But I do think the women need larger roles.
• Too many missing characters. What happened to McGarrett’s sister? Or Masi Oka? Or the woman McGarrett was rolling around on the beach with? Where did all these folks go?
• Another confusing plot with the obvious bad guy. But I’m guessing the plot isn’t important. It’s all about how entertaining the show is.
• Too much bromance. I liked it at first. But now the constant bickering between McGarrett and Williams is getting a little tiring. I want them to kiss and make up already!
RECENT BLOG POSTS
‘Spiritual’ lessons we’ve learned
FUUD: Pablo’s Cantina in Ward Centre
Introducing Cat Chat
ASK DR. DISH: Male shorage
Dear ‘Hawaii Five-0’ writers
Here’s a secret: don’t bathe
FUUD: Rainbow Dine-In & Take-Out in Waikiki
McRib returns to happy fans
Andy Irons dies; I’m in shock
How annoying is product placement?
‘Long hair not appropriate for grown-ups’