Bromance is in the air — and all over “Hawaii Five-0.”
The relationship between Dets. Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) and Danny “Danno” Williams (Scott Caan) has been the subject of both intrigue and criticism.
Some argue that the banter between the two detectives is entertaining; others say it’s too much about them and not enough about the crimes, the plot or — let’s be honest — the other members of “Five-0.” (I mean, Grace Park hasn’t had more than 10 lines in any episode.)
I’ll admit, at first, I was digging the bromance. (Which is, according to Urban Dictionary, the complicated love and affection shared by two straight males.) It has been entertaining to watch them go back and forth, usually in the car — and usually without wearing seatbelts — about everything from ex-wives to anger issues.
Bromances have been a huge Hollywood hit lately, with celebrity bud-couples such as Brad Pitt and George Clooney and Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaughey making this heterosexual relationship trendy and cool.
But is this bromance taking away from the show? Meaning, is there too much focus on McGarrett and Williams? Or is that what’s keeping the show alive?
From last night’s show:
• Australian actress Claire Van Der Boom as Rachel, the witty, sharp-tongued ex-wife of Danny “Danno” Williams. She needs a larger role in this show.
• Danno plugs Side Street Inn. Great local grinds!
• Former KHNL anchor Diane Ako as — what else — a TV reporter!
• Didn’t buy the plot of highly trained triathletes as diamond thieves. Not the fastest getaway on bikes.
• Seatbelts. McGarrett and Williams still aren’t wearing ’em.
• Still not much Grace Park. When is she going to get a bigger role and shine?
Subscribe to Nonstop Honolulu on YouTube »
RECENT BLOG POSTS
The great food debate
FUUD: Gulick Delicatessen on King Street
Should Grandma still be driving?
Cat Chat episode 2: Black Friday strategies
‘Hawaii Five-0’ vs. ‘Magnum, P.I.’
‘Spiritual’ lessons we’ve learned
FUUD: Pablo’s Cantina in Ward Centre
Introducing Cat Chat
ASK DR. DISH: Male shorage
TOP BLOG POSTS