Question: I am sure you get this question ALL THE TIME about regifting. But I still do not know if it’s okay to do it. I do it all the time and my friends give me grief about it. What’s so bad about giving away a gift you don’t need???? What is someone else out there can actually use a Ninja (food processor)???? Why is regifting so bad?????
Answer: I don’t think there’s a person who’s reading this that either 1) has regifted something or 2) been the recipient of a regift, whether you knew it or not. Oh, yeah, it’s that prevalent!
Even I’ll admit I’ve given away a gift that I’ve received — and found no use for — but I don’t disguise them as gifts. I literally just give them away. I’m like you, if there’s someone else out there who can make better use of something I have, by all means have it. There’s no point in me having an iron, for example, when I don’t use one. (Hint to Mom.)
But still, no one likes to talk about regifting, at least in public. We may do it in the privacy our own homes, in total secrecy, not even revealing what we’ve done to our spouses or best friends — some of whom might be recipients, as a matter of fact — and so the discussion doesn’t get very far.
So if you’re going to do it, do it right. Here’s some advice:
- Don’t mention it. Meaning, don’t tell the person you’re giving them something you don’t want — from someone else. Better to keep that to yourself.
- Don’t give only a part of the gift. Like, don’t give a gift card after you’ve used some of it. Or don’t break apart a set and give a portion away. That’s just tacky.
- Don’t regift something old. You shouldn’t be “gifting” used items or hand-me-downs. It should be an actual gift, something you received recently. Not something you got in 1986 that you finally decided to give away.
- Don’t use the same wrapping — and card. Seriously. If you’re not going to spring for an actual gift, you may as well pony up the cash for new wrapping paper and a card.
- Don’t give the gift back to the person who gave it to you. (That’s pretty obvious.)
Anyone got a regifting story to tell? Anyone willing to admit they do it? Let’s hear it!
CAT’S GIFT IDEAS
SHOPPING DAYS LEFT: 4
TODAY’S GIFT IDEA: Laka Signature Massage from Laka Skin Care & Spa on Ward Avenue
no images were found
Got a gift idea? Send ’em my way at [email protected]
Subscribe to Nonstop Honolulu on YouTube »
RECENT BLOG POSTS
Preferring the imperfect Christmas
FUUD: Your favorite pho
Sign a friendship contract?
Cat Chat episode 6: iPad, iDunno
Your favorite Christmas flicks
Pampering your pets
FUUD: Inferno’s Wood Fire Pizza in Kalihi
Nook or Kindle — or not
Cat Chat episode 5: Scarfing
Gifts for the ‘Hawaii Five-0’ fans
Don’t judge me by my Christmas playlist
TOP BLOG POSTS